An individual Member of Parliament has taken initiative to introduce a bill for regulating surrogacy in the Lok Sabha, known as the house of commons or the lower house of the parliament. The Bill No. 61 of 2014 named THE SURROGACY (REGULATION) BILL, 2014 had been introduced in the Lok Sabha on 08/08/2014 as gathered from the Lok Sabha website. This Bill was introduced by Dr. Kirit Premjibhai Solanki, MP from Gujarat.
Pointers on The Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2014:
- Bill introduced by an individual member of parliament and is not government sponsored bill.
- This Bill deals on with surrogacy arrangements alone and not with Assisted Reproductive Technology as such.
- The Bill provides to allow commercial surrogacy arrangements for couples from abroad if they have an appointed guardian in India.
- Bill does not discuss ART Banks, whereby surrogate mother and egg donors can be identified.
- Bill provides for insurace for surrogate mother must be sponsored by the commissioning couple
- Bill provides for surrogacy for gay couples, after same sex relations are allowed in India
Copy of the Bill is found here.
While the Government sponsored Assisted Reproductive Technology Bill is still with the legislative department, there is no actual date on when the Bill would be introduced by the Parliament. There is a strong message from various departments that the bill may actually be introduced in the winter session of the Parliament in 2014.
What is the status of this? What are the dates for winter session parliament?
We are awaiting a decision to enable us to apply for a visa.
The bill has been introduced in the Parliament is all we know. This is a bill introduced by an individual member of Parliament. This is not the Bill in question with regard to the surrogacy visa. What is the reason you had been provided for being waitlisted for the surrogacy visa?
I am confused, though, I will be honest, I read very quickly….
Is this the current idea that “single persons” will be able to access surrogacy?
Very interesting post. My name is Leslie and I am a reporter with OZY, a digital magazine. I am doing research for a story about the Surrogacy Bill in Parliament right now. I have some very quick questions. Can you help me answer them? I would appreciate your insight. You can reach me via email at [email protected]. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.
i salim intrested in the subject of surrogacy. there is still some confusion and ambiguity in the subject. what is the legal position of the bill? did parliament discussed the bill? when will it become law? what is the opinion of parliament members? where i get fulltext of the ART 2014? please inform me, whoever know about the subject My email [email protected]